Fresh meat, fish, fruit, vegtables and so much more.
The city of Tarragona is an amazing place, bursting with 2000 years of history and many things to see and do. Roman ruins, medieval buildings, traditional tapas bars and a lovely stretch of beach are just some of its attractions.
A visit to the Mercat Central (Main Market) is always the best way to get a real feel for a place. It's the beating heart of most cities and Tarragona is no different. The market is situated near the Rambla Nova, the main street, and is easy to find. It's a busy, bustling place with traders selling all sorts of fresh seasonal produce. Wander around the stalls and soak up the atmosphere and perhaps be tempted to buy something and prepare a delicious meal in your holiday apartment on the Costa Dorada.
A little bit of history
The central market, a unique Modernist building was built in 1915 in order to centralise different sales points across the city. The building became an essential element in the development of the area and later the commercial axis of the city.
Architect Josep Maria Pujol i de Barberà wanted the interior to be made of cast iron columns and get rid of walls. The idea was to make it lighter and more spacious. He incorporated the Modernist art that fills these contemporary buildings with flair and elegance. The Market's design is reminiscent of the Born Market in Barcelona and the Otto Wagner Pavilion Karlsplatz in Vienna.
UHC tips & tricks:
- As always in busy city centre locations make sure you keep your belongings safe and out of sight.
- When you are inside, make sure you look up as the central area has a really impressive wooden ceiling.
- Take notice of the bars on the four entrance doors and the ceramic-clad rooftop.
- Open daily (except Sundays) from 7:30am till 18:00pm.
- Free underground parking (if you buy at the market).
- Takeaway food and home delivery are also available.
Here is our list of tips on what to do on a day in Tarragona. To maximise your holiday on the Costa Dorada and plan your day trips without wasting time, please feel free to ask our UHC team to design an itinerary.
If you are looking to buy some fresh food in a picturesque setting, be sure to visit Tarragona’s main market!